little blackfoot memorial

little blackfoot memorial
memorial marker

Monday 25 April 2011

a

Hey I had a near death experience today (Well I don't know if this really counts.)  We were driving through the end of Florida when we decided to stop at a beach i was running along the waves, (swimming wasn't allowed because of riptide warnings,) collecting sea shells, (which I always do at the beach) and I stopped to pick up what looked like a shiny cleary-blue rock, but when i bent down to touch it it was all squishy and slipped out of my hand. Being the girl that I am, I ran away screaming. When my dad asked what was wrong (half laughing) i said 'Something is all squishy and gooey over there!' he walked over and confirmed what I had been thinking: it was a jelly fish. Now mind you i only touched the top of the jelly fish, you know, the part that doesn't sting you, because that was the only visible part because it was buried in the sand. My dad walked over to a nearby lifeguard and told him about it. When the life guard asked what color it was my dad said bluey-purple, and the life guard said it was probably a Portuguese Man of War. For those of you who don't know, A Portuguese Man of War isn't even a jelly fish. A Portuguese Man of War's tenticals can get up to about 165 feet down into the water, and even when it is dead (like ours was) it can still give a sting. Anyway if i had touched one of the stingers I probably would be in intensive care right now :(

1 comment:

  1. Oh and i forgot to mention that it could also have been a box jellyfish which is known to also be one of the most dangerous types of jelly fish because it's venom attacks the heart, nervous systems and the skin cells.

    ReplyDelete